Friday, January 16, 2009

Grandmother's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies


This recipe is a favorite at our house.
I have found that even some folks that don't like raisins, like them!
I've discovered that if you use fresh ground whole wheat flour, they turn out just as good!
I will not be posting recipes that taste "healthy",
just those that taste great and hopefully fall somewhere in the "healthy" category.

Grandmother's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup raisins
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
Soak these first three ingredients for an hour.
If time gets away from you like it often does for me, don't worry!
It doesn't hurt anything for it to sit longer.
Cream: 1 cup butter
(I use half Expeller Pressed, Naturally Refined, Pure Coconut Oil)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Add the egg mixture to this and mix.
Next, add and mix well:
2 &1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Then add: 2 generous cups oatmeal
(I like quick oats, but rolled is fine too.)
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
Roll in balls; dip the bottom of a cup in sugar and press. (Kids love to help!)
Bake in 350 degree oven for approx. 8 minutes. Do not over bake!

The secret to these cookies great taste is the raisins soaking in the vanilla/egg.
Their great texture is ruined if you over bake. Ask me how I know!!
If anything, under bake and be sure to bang the pan a bit when you take them out of the oven!
They are very more-ish!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: